Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One Shot, 300 Yards!!

As most of you know, Jessica turned 12 this past summer. Which means one thing in our house, it's time for your first hunting license! (I didn't grow up with hunting, so this has definitely taken some getting used to!) John grew up hunting with his dad, and some of his fondest memories of his childhood are of being with his dad hunting. When Jacob turned 12 I was so excited for him. I love that he and John get to spend time together building those father/son bonds! However, when Jessica turned 12 it was a little different for me!! I mean she's such a girly girl! And. . .she is a great shopper!! I mean really! She is one of my favorite people to shop with, I hated to mess this up with hunting!

They planned their trip to Wyoming. They left the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and flew home Monday. Five days of hunting, and Jessica was so excited!

They flew from Sacramento to Denver then changed planes (to one of those horribly small planes) and headed to the big town of Riverton, Wyoming. (Where it was about 12 degrees.)



The didn't fly in this exact plane but one very similar!


Jessica shared her experience in our ward's YW in Excellence program. Here is what she said. . .

"On our first day of hunting I got a shot at a deer, but I missed. The next day we didn't see anything at all. Jacob got a deer on our third day there. That made me really want to get one. But, we didn't see anything else. On what was supposed to be the last day of our trip we went hunting very early. I knew it was my last chance!

We saw a buck far away. My dad helped me get my shooting sticks ready. Then he and Jacob watched me and the deer through their binoculars. I used my scope to line up my shot. The deer was facing me so I just had a narrow area to aim at. My dad told me that because the deer was so far (about 300 yards) that I needed to aim about an inch above his head, because the bullet would fall a little over the distance. I finally shot and the deer just dropped! It was so exciting!!! My dad and Jacob could not believe it, and they were so proud of me! It was so much fun!

I didn't so much like the gutting out part, but. . . my dad did that."


She had most of the deer made into jerky and pepper sticks (which she has had so much fun giving to her friends).



Jessica and her Ohhhh soooo proud dad!





I love that Jacob and Jessica had such a great time!

Jacob and his deer. Not the biggest he's ever gotten, but he was glad to get one!




First rule of hunting. . . you must be very quiet while hiding from the animals you are seeking! This proved to be NO PROBLEM!. . . since both Jacob and Jessica fell sound asleep!!! ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz!

They all had such a great time. In the end, I don't think it would of mattered what they were doing. Jacob and Jessica just loved spending 5 days with their dad!!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! Congratulations to Jessica! Looks like a fun (but cold!) trip. I've never eaten venison jerky but it sounds good!

Molly said...

Hopefully killing that deer hasn't negatively affected Jessica's shopping skills. In fact, I bet she's better at spotting good deals from a great distance. Say, 300 yards?

vocalise said...

And, how many girls are this tickled about hunting? Her smiles are soo cute. She "belongs" and you can see it all over her face!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe Jessica is 12 already! Has it really been that long since I have seen you all? Haha!

Ali said...

Wow, talk about a tradition to remember! The last pics of the kids sleeping cracks me up! Looks like they had a great time! And you know what, that really says something that Jess was brave enough to take the shot - there are a lot of girls who would never man up to that (I was in Activity Days for a while, most of them were such guppies, they wouldn't even stick their hand in a container of crickets for our Fear Factor activity, lol!).